– Q&A: NBA legend Jerry West’s winning formula (from Ethan Sherwood Strauss, ESPN):
– Terry Stotts Discusses Blazers’ Moves (from Sagar Trika, blazersedge.com):
– The Transition Game in Minnesota: LaVine Gets the Nod While Martin Takes a Seat (from Zach Lowe, Grantland):
– Dwyane Wade schools Justise Winslow in art of the undersized post game (from Ira Winderman, Sun Sentinel):
– Billy Donovan’s Playbook: From University of Florida to Oklahoma City (from Shawn Woods, thunderousintentions.com):
Read and view it here: http://thunderousintentions.com/2015/10/09/billy-donovans-playbook/
– Can Billy Donovan or Fred Hoiberg repeat Steve Kerr’s success? (from Kurt Helin, NBC Sports):
” Has any first-year NBA head coach ever walked into a more “win now” situation than Billy Donovan?
The Oklahoma City Thunder are have been considered title contenders ever since they stepped on the court in the 2012 Finals. However, they have yet to return to that stage due to a combination of personnel moves and injuries. Next summer their superstar Kevin Durant is a free agent and he’s the kind of franchise-changing player who will draw 29 other suitors. If OKC is going to keep him they have to prove to Durant he can win it all without having to change addresses. It’s a lot to ask of a rookie NBA coach.
Maybe the guy who can best relate is Fred Holberg, who was brought in from Iowa State to take over a Chicago Bulls team that has not lived up to expectations the past several seasons. He takes over for an innovative coach, but with with a mandate from management to rest guys more, modernize the offense, and lift a team known for physically breaking down up to challenge Cleveland.
That’s setting the bar ridiculously high.
Donovan and Hoiberg can thank Steve Kerr for that — he cleared that bar his rookie season.”
– Look at these cool Thunder shot charts (form Andrew Schlect, dailythunder.com):
Read and view it here: http://dailythunder.com/2015/10/look-at-these-cool-thunder-shot-charts/
– Thunder Film Room: Steve Novak takes Russell Westbrook to next level (from Marina Mangiaracina, welcometoloudcity.com):
– ASK SAM | SAM SMITH OPENS HIS MAILBAG (from Bulls.com):
Read Sam’s answers to readers questions about the Bulls here: http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/samsmith/mailbag/ask-sam-sam-smith-opens-his-mailbag-10.9.2015
– Grizzlies’ training camp invitees work to get noticed (from Ronald Tillery, commercialappeal.com):
” Sampson Carter, just like the four other training camp invitees, realizes making the Grizzlies’ roster is a long shot. However, these outsiders don’t see themselves as just live bodies to be props for the players with guaranteed contracts. The training camp invitees are performing for their basketball livelihood, hoping they’ll get noticed and eventually paid for their performances in preseason games.
“They’ve stayed within their own games,” Griz coach Dave Joerger said. “We’re not looking for anybody to come in and isolate them and feature them. All of those guys have been conscientious about doing the right thing and that makes camp better.”
– Battle For Roster Spots: Northwest Division (from Chuck Myron, hoopsrumors.com):
” Hoops Rumors will be taking a team-by-team look at the battles for regular season roster spots going on around the NBA this month, the last before rosters shrink from the offseason limit of 20 to the 15-man regular season maximum. First, we’ll check out the five Northwest Division franchises.”
– Wizards: Three Reasons They’ve Improved This Season (from Osman Baig, wizofawes.com):
– Raptors: GM Masai Ujiri’s Master Plan(s) (from Michael Holian, raptorsrepublic.com):
Additional Player Notes, Updates, Profiles:
– Jahlil Okafor still getting comfortable in the post (from Bob Cooney, philly.com): http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20151011_Jahlil_Okafor_still_getting_comfortable_in_the_post.html
– Jahlil Okafor out to prove he can cash in on free throws (form John Finger, csnphilly.com): http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/jahlil-okafor-out-prove-he-can-cash-free-throws
– Bucks’ Jabari Parker patiently waits return to full-time duty (from Steve Aschburner, NBA.com): http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/steve_aschburner/10/09/bucks-parker-being-patient-in-rehab-process/index.html
– Shane Larkin finally has the chance to equal draft hype (from Tim Bontemps, NYPost): http://nypost.com/2015/10/09/shane-larkin-finally-has-the-chance-to-equal-draft-hype/
– James Anderson quietly impresses Kings with steady play (form Jason Jones, Sacramento Bee): http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article38550546.html
– Former Wizard Kevin Seraphin found a ‘real opportunity’ in New York (from Jorge Castillo, Washington Post): https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/former-wizard-kevin-seraphin-looked-for-and-found-a-real-opportunity-in-new-york/2015/10/09/b096fd98-6ed1-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html
– Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Injury Opens Up Last-Ditch Chances for Jeremy Lamb and P. J. Hairston (from Jonathan Wasserman, Bleacher Report): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2577527-michael-kidd-gilchrist-injury-opens-up-last-ditch-chance-for-two-failed-nba-pros
– Schroder sought counsel of Korver to improve jump shot (from Chris Vivlamore, myajc.com): http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/schroder-sought-counsel-of-korver-to-improve-jump-/nnxyz/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral
– Pacers guard Rodney Stuckey is waiting, teaching in preseason (from Candace Buckner, indystar.com): http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/10/09/pacers-guard-rodney-stuckey-waiting-teaching-preseason/73669236/
– Less dribbling means more production for Avery Bradley (from A Sherrod Blakely, csnne.com): http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/less-dribbling-means-more-production-for-boston-celtics-avery-bradley
– George Karl says he likes Cauley-Stein next to Cousins (from Blake Ellington, Sactown Royalty): http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/10/9/9485943/george-karl-likes-cauley-stein-cousins
– Aaron Gordon is trying to be productive during his recovery (from Josh Robbins, Orlando Sentinel): http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-aaron-gordon-1010-20151009-story.html
– Mavs: Sharpshooter John Jenkins, first-round pick Justin Anderson see opportunity for growth during preseason (from Earl K. Sneed, mavs.com): http://www.mavs.com/sharpshooter-john-jenkins-first-round-pick-justin-anderson-see-opportunity-for-growth-during-preseason/
– Jared Sullinger improves body, mind (from Steve Bulpett, Boston Herald): http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/10/jared_sullinger_improves_body_mind
– Alex Len’s 21-point game shows offseason improvement (from Paul Coro, azcentral.com): http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2015/10/10/alex-lens-21-point-game-shows-offseason-improvement/73721772/
– Suns: Why Alex Len’s Breakout Season Could Come In A Bench Role (from Gerald Bourguet, valleyofthesuns): http://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/10/10/suns-alex-lens-breakout-season-come-bench-role/